Like a boss
Growing up as a kid I loved peanut butter and jam sandwiches, and my mother always made (and still makes) the best cakes. So what better than an almond sponge cake with a peanut butter and jam filling.
I’ve taken your standard run of the mill Victoria sponge and adapted it for my tastes. Might not be for everyone.
For the sponge
• 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
• 225g self-raising flour, sifted
• 225g caster sugar
• 4 large eggs, preferably free-range or organic
• 2 tsp almond extract
For the filling
• 175g Crunchy Peanut Butter
• 50g Butter
• Icing sugar – add according to taste
• Raspberry Jam
• Icing Sugar for dusting on top
Make the cake
Right, lets get started…stick the oven on, 180 degrees or 160 degrees in a fan assisted oven.
1. Beat the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
3. Add the almond extract.
4. Fold in the flour and then split mixture between the two cake tins.
5. Chuck the two tins in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
6. Take it from the oven and chuck on cooling racks.
Make the filling
1. Beat the peanut butter and butter in a bowl.
2. Pour in the milk and then mix in with icing sugar until you are happy with the flavour.
3. Spread the jam and icing on opposite cakes.
4. Sandwich together then dust the top with icing sugar.